The Management Board of Ha Long Bay is the state agency in charge of managing all operations Ha Long Bay, including giving permissions for cruise companies to sail and having the rights to cancel or shorten any cruise trip in favor of the passengers’ safety. Bad weather conditions like typhoons, storms or heavy fog are usually the main causes of trip cancellation. All cruise companies and travel agents have to follow the final decision of tour/cruise cancellation by the Ha Long Bay Management Board which is made till 3:00 PM of the day. While they cannot do any about this decision, they will inform their passengers as soon as possible and provide the best arrangement/alternative options they can.
As for passengers, it is highly advised to check the update news and stay in contact with travel agents/cruise operators to be swiftly informed of any cancellation news. Here are several scenarios for you in case of trip cancellation due to bad weather:
Scenario 1- Prior to departure from Hanoi: When you are informed of cancellation before you depart for your trip, make sure you ask your travel agents about cancellation details and request important information such as: when is the next trip, are there any alternative options? In case you have to wait for the next trip, check with your hotel about your booking time and probably take a short tour around Hanoi if you feel like it.
Scenario 2- After arrival at Ha Long Bay: If you are informed of cancellation news after you arrived at Ha Long Bay, you can either choose to go back to Hanoi or wait for the cruise the day after. For the first option, the cruise operator will make arrangement to transfer you back to Hanoi. If you choose to wait, take note that it can take several days for the next cruise in case of heavy rain and storms.
Scenario 3- In the middle of the cruise: When you are informed of the cancellation news while on a cruise trip, the trip will be cut short to ensure your safety. Depending on the weather conditions, the cruise operator can make different arrangements. If you learn the news on the trip’s first day and the weather forecast for the next day is positive, you should spend a night at a hotel on the mainland and then resume your journey. In case of bad weather, the cruise operator will make arrangement to transfer you back to Hanoi. There are also other alternatives options for you.
In those cases, following policies will be applied:
– If the cancellation is informed before you leave Hanoi to Ha Long Bay (you have not used any service yet): 100% refund.
– If the cancellation is informed during the trip (you have already used some services: transfer, lunch, day trip, hotel in Ha Long,…): Only the fee of these services will be charged and we will refund whole remain amount
– If the trip is cut down from 3 days/2 nights to 2 days/1 night, we will charge as 2 days/1 night trip, plus other services you have already used and refund the remain amount.
– The cancellation is announced ONLY by the Management Board of Ha Long Bay and often in short notice of time. Therefore, your understandings in these situations are highly appreciated
– The period from May to July is considered as storm weather in Ha Long Bay with many unpredictable weather conditions. Hence more cruises will be cancelled with short notice during this season.
– In all cases, please contact our consultants directly for any urgent help. We are here to support you with all of our best!